Italian inheritance questions and answers
Here is a list of frequently asked questions and answers about Italian inheritance and succession procedures
- How does my marital status affect my Italian inheritance rights?
- Why is it worth drafting an Italian Will?
- Will I have to pay Inheritance tax on my grandmother’s home?
- Is inheritance tax the only tax due when a relative dies?
- Do I need an Italian Will for my Italian Property?
- My partner and I are not married, my partner purchased an Italian property solely in his/her name. What will happen to such property when he/she dies?
- I have heard about ‘forced heirs’ in Italy, how can I make sure my property goes to the people I want it to go to?
- With my Will is it possible to only dispose of some of my assets?
- Having direct relatives (ascendents and/or descendants) may I donate part of my assets to an institution or organization?
- For married partners is it legal to draft a joint Will?
- Are there any relatives who cannot be excluded in the Succession?
- What happens if a Will violates the rights of the forced heirs?
- What are the rights of a married partner, a separated partner and a divorced partner?
- What are the rights of unmarried partners?
- Can I nominate more than one beneficiary in the same Will?
- Is it possible to change my Will over time?
- Who do I contact should I decide to draft an Italian Will?
- Where should I keep my Italian Will?
- What inheritance assets are exempt from taxation?
- Who pays the inheritance tax?
- A relative passed away and I am entitled to an Italian inheritance. My Italian family suggests that they will take care of everything and they are asking me to sign a Power of Attorney.
- I have inherited a property in Italy where some family members live without a contract. Is this exposing me to any potential risk?
- My estate agent has asked me to sign an agreement drafted in both the Italian and English languages. I do not understand the Italian language, what should I do?
- Why should I hire a lawyer when I am already using a public notary?
- I was told that I needed an interpreter during the Deed of Sale, can I use one appointed by the vendor and/or the real estate agent?
- I am a foreign (non Italian) citizen and I own a property in Italy. What inheritance law will apply to my Italian property?
- What should I do with my Will?
If you do not find the answer to your question in our list of “Italian inheritance questions and answers”, do not hesitate to contact us with your question.